Re: [gardeners] Herb garden

Tue, 24 Mar 1998 19:56:51

At 07:56 PM 3/24/98 -0500, you wrote:
>At 06:08 PM 24-03-98, George Shirley wrote:
snipped some of my own message

>>How are things in your garden?
>>
>>George
>
>Snowy, snowy, snowy.  The kids have a good fort started in the front yard
>and the weather is crisp, cold, clear and sunny.  Can't see the ground to
>plant....but I've been saying this for a couple of weeks now.  The herb
>garden sounds great, George.  Maybe I'll get a crack at making one soon
>myself.
>
>Lucinda>

Snow, snow!! I think I saw some about 40 years ago and it scared me further
south for the rest of my life. At least in the winter.

Right now the herb garden just looks like bricks lying on bare ground with
fruit trees in the corners. You have to visualize what it will look like if
all umpty-ump zillion seeds come up. I do believe I may have gotten heavy
handed with the seed.

Gonna plant some Jicama and Chinese Yam tomorrow too. Jicama takes 8 or 9
months to maturity but they store well. I don't know how long a Chinese Yam
takes as the seed was given to me and I haven't been able to dig up much
info on the net except that they make a root 3 feet long. Ay Chihuahua!
Gonna have to do a lot of digging to harvest that crop.

I think I'm gonna order some sunchokes too. Research shows that fresh
chokes are okay for diabetics as they don't turn starchy until they're
stored for awhile. Grew some 30 odd years ago and don't remember storing
them here in zone 9b. Believe we just went out and harvested enough for a
meal each time.

So much dirt, so little time.

George