Re: [gardeners] In preparation for Green Thighs

Catharine Vinson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 14:50:23 +0000

Marianne wrote:

> I'm a little confused though...I was under the impression that you're not
> supposed to actually ingest epazote, especially 4 tablespoons worth. Or is
> that caution just for us northern yuppie chef types? :-)

Epazote has been a staple in seasoning of Latin American food for long,
long time. It's also listed as one of the preventatives for gas formation
associated with the ingestion of beans (now, isn't that a delicate way of
putting it?). I am no expert, but can't think of any reference to epazote
being toxic. It's a member of the goosefoot family....chenopodium
ambosides (wow, I actually knew that one; I may faint) and is generally
listed along with the other pot herbs in this family and genus.

Anybody have any references to epazote being bad for you?

Catharine