Re: [gardeners] squash borers

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 02 Jul 1998 01:23:07 -0500

Hi Penny,
    I'm an amatuer.The pros use lots of pesticides.They plant as early as
posssible. Borers seem to be worse latter as the weather gets warmer.I'm
pretty sure the squash borer is the same. I just happen to live in an
area that seems at least for the last 3 seasons to be free of borers.
    Natural enemies? Spiders, parasitic wasps,I'm not sure of others.
Probably fire ants they eat everything else. The real problem here is
that the borer is the larva of a moth. Most moths are of course active at
night. So we can't tell by the presense of the moth that we have a
problem before it gets to late.

Allen