[gardeners] Books

Liz Albrook (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 10:32:09 +0000

Margaret Lauterbach <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:

> No, but I bought one.  It's on the nightstand (Dead Man's Walk).  I'm
> reading the third of Ivan Doig's trilogy about Montana.  Maybe now that I'm
> through taking courses at the university osmosis is working.  I tried it
> once in undergrad school, but it didn't work at all.  Now I content myself
> with nightmares that I'm walking into a final exam, haven't cracked the
> textbook or attended any lectures.  Sigh.  Margaret

Margaret, how did you make it through to the third book?  I find
Doig's books to be much line Montana itself -- dry and tedious to get
through.  Ray is currently reading one of his books that's set over
on the Washington coast and he is enjoying it a great deal -- some
of it is hilarious.  (Ray also made it through the trilogy.)  I
finished Dead Man's Walk about 3 weeks ago -- I enjoyed it more than
The Street's of Laredo but didn't think it came close to the beauty
of Lonesome Dove.  That book is one of my favorites of all time --
mostly because I read it at about the same time I underwent the
conversion from measuring life by what I accomplished to measuring
life by how I lived it I suppose.

Liz