Re: [gardeners] Carolina Turkey

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 04 Jul 1998 07:33:12 -0600

At 12:21 AM 7/4/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Margaret, can't swear on which day my grandfolks got married
>cause, rightfully so, I wasn't there.
>
>My father next month would be 98-y-o, and his mother was
>16 when he was born.  Now, can you say positively that
>the gov't didn't move Thanksgiving Day around back in 1883..?
>
>Penny

Doggone it, Penny, you forced me to look it up.  In 1863 President Lincoln
"proclaimed the first national Thanksgiving Day October 3 and set aside the
last Thursday of November to commemorate the feast given by the Pilgrims in
1621 for their Wampanoag benefactors. "   He was acting in response to
pleas from Godey's Lady's Book editor Sarah Josepha Hale, who had
campaigned since the 1840s for Thanksgiving Day observances....This is from
"The People's Chronology, A Year-by-Year Record of Human Events from
Prehistory to the Present,"  assembled by James Trager.  Due to the normal
rotation of dates on our calendars, every few years Thanksgiving would be
celebrated on  your grandparents' anniversary date. The other years it
would be different dates.  Margaret