Re: [gardeners] my veggie garden

Catharine Vinson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 09:40:52 +0000

Allen wrote:

>     I planted Kennebec(white) and Lasoda(red). The Kennebec has very few eyes. It
> also seems to be a low yield potato. I got back about 3lbs for every 1lb that I
> planted. The Lasoda on the other hand has many eyes and is a high yield potato. I
> got back 35lbs for every lb planted. The Lasodas made 500lbs plus.

How did the two compare as far as taste? I grew some Kennebec last
year...they are recommended cultivar for Atlanta area. The flavor and
texture were very good when harvested as just-a-little-beyond the
traditional new potato size. Since it's a late-maturing variety, we have
to dig them too soon for them to develop into big lunkers/baking size.

Catharine/Atlanta, zone 7b