Re: [gardeners] Tuesday

Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:04:35

--=====================_901134275==_

At 07:49 AM 7/22/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>Worked on this years batch of limed sweet pickles today. Will load the jars
>>and BWB the lot tomorrow afternoon. This old recipe is a favorite with our
>>family and was given to us by the elderly lady who lived behind us when we
>>were in our first house, some 33 years ago. Works equally well with green
>>tomatoes or cukes or zukes. Had to make some as the 97 batch is about gone.
>>Usually make 8-10 quarts and then sort of dole them out over the year.
>
>How about sharing the recipe, George?

Here it is:

>George, we grew Jerusalem artichokes years ago.  Chuck complained about the
>flatulence they caused, so I took them out.  I was warned that I wouldn't
>be able to get rid of them, but I did by screening the soil.  There are
>black, dead-looking runners in the soil.  Close examination reveals a
>bright pink but tiny growth point.  I liked them, myself.  Maybe I don't
>recall the flatulence, or some among a lot.  Margaret

The cucuzzi cause flatulence in both of us but we still eat 'em, it passes
(pun intended) after a bit.

George
--=====================_901134275==_

                  Green Tomato or Cucumber Limed Pickles

Mrs. Stanley George gave this recipe to us more than thirty years ago. The Georges lived
behind us when we were newly weds. She died in 1995 at age 95. Thanks Mrs. George, it's a
favorite with us and our kids.

8 1/2 pounds   green tomatoes or cucumbers (before trimming) should yield
7 pounds       of sliced green tomatoes or cukes or zucchini
3 cups              household or pickling lime
2 gallons      water

Dissolve the lime in the water then pour over the sliced produce. Soak for 24 hours. I like to
give it a stir every once in awhile to keep the lime in suspension. Drain off the slices and
wash carefully being sure to get all the lime off the slices. Put back in the cleaned container
and cover with plain water, soak 4 hours, changing water every hour.

                                   Syrup

5 pints 5% vinegar  5 pounds sugard     5 tablespoons pickling spice.

Bring to a boil and pour over the tomatoes or cucumbers, let sit overnight. Next morning
bring the whole mess to a boil and simmer for 1 hour. Add 4-6 drops of green food coloring
to get a nice "pickle" color. Pack in jars of your choice, pour hot syrup over them. Makes
about 8 quarts.

I now Boiling Water Bath the pickles after jarring for 5 minutes for pints, 10 minutes for
quarts. Doesn't hurt the quality and taste but does meet FDA requirements for today.

George Shirley
Sulphur, Louisiana