Re: [gardeners] harison's yellow rose

Liz Albrook (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 14:23:01 +0000

Margaret Lauterbach <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Gayle, good idea to leave a few canes.  That rose was brought west
> in covered wagons on the Oregon Trail.  Don't know whether they brought a
> root or two or a start in a can.  But they survived and thrived.  Hope
> yours continues to recover.  Best, Margaret

Just for kicks I checked Peter Beale's _Classic Roses_ to see if he
had any specific instructions for harrison's yellow.  (He does a good
job of identifying species and hybrids that need pruning a little
differently than the average OGR.)  No special instructions so as
long as you leave a few canes your rose should be fine.  According to
Beale, hard pruning performed during the dormant season poses no
problem to species and "nearly species" roses.

I picked this book up several weeks ago at a Spokane bookstore and
heartily recommend it to anyone with an interest in classic or old
garden roses.  There are about 600 color photos and an updated,
expanded text (verses the earlier edition).  Though there are some
features lacking from the text (hardiness information, emphasis on
grafted rather than own root roses, a lack of understanding of North
American climate) it's an insightful, interesting book from one of
the most respected rosarians of our time.  Beale treats roses as
shrubs, not as buds or flowers  That perspective is helpful to
folks like me who want to find the "perfect" rose for each spot in
the garden.

Liz