Re: [gardeners] Hoya blooming!

Liz Albrook (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 11:53:22 +0000

Terry King <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:

> The more you talk about hoyas the more interested I become.  Is there a
> yellow flowered species?  I ask because there is a plant in the window at
> my postoffice that struck me as being a hoya but it has yellow flowers.

Yes, there are yellow flowered hoyas but don't ask me which ones
because I can't tell you.  :-)  There are several hoyas species that
I know of that have several "clones" that have differently colored
flowers.  I'm not certain of the usage of the word "clone" in this
context -- I think the correct word is probably "sport" since many of
these "clones" occur in the wild.

I've seen photos of several hoyas that would probably fit Penny's
description of shooting stars and they are really nifty looking
flowers.  The only bad thing I've found about hoyas so far is that
many of them have long internodal lengths so that you see lots of
vine and few leaves.  One solution to this problem is to coil the
vines.

I swear that lots of hoyas are dead easy to grow.  Logee's has some
really nifty ones, including a variety with palm-sized, heart shaped
leaves.  I have one shoot of that variety growing -- extremely slowly
-- and hope to one day have a whole plant from it.  The internodal
distance is huge though -- about a foot -- so it's truly bizarre
looking.

Liz