Re: [gardeners] Hoya blooming!

Catharine Vinson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 07:41:23 +0000

Penny wrote:

> Now we could talk about my Clerodendron -- now that's a lovely
> vining plant with beautiful flowers. Anybody have one?

I grow a couple members of the genus:  C. trichtomum, C. ugandense. I'm
going to guess you are referring to C. thomsonae since that's the
one that's most often used as a "vine" to the best of my knowledge. It is
nice in hanging baskets; the scent is grand. Dead-easy to propagate,
so the mass marketers keep pumping them out at good price. Most people I
know think the flowers are outstanding (white and kind of 'balloon-like at
the base with bright red petals) but I think they are a little garsih. I
am much fonder of C. ugandense. Lovely shade of blue. Nice woody shrub
formation.