Re: [gardeners] corn, incredible or butterfruit?

Mon, 17 Aug 1998 14:29:58

At 08:02 AM 8/17/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Margaret Lauterbach <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, I finally got into my late season corn Saturday, and it was
>> almost too late.  It's quite mature.  I'm growing "Incredible" for
>> the first time, and although it's good, it's not as good as
>> Butterfruit used to be.  The Incredible lives up to its name in
>> terms of weirdness, though.  Many stalks had zero ears.  Never had
>> that happen before.  And I had the worst pollination I've ever had.
>> Several ears only half filled, others edentate, and still others
>> just plain blanks.  I've never had that happen  before either.
>
>I've gotten to the point that I'm almost not surprised anymore by how
>widely varied the results can be with a single variety of vegetable.
>I grew Incredible last year in a 4 row x 10 plant plot.  I average
>over 2.5 ears per plant and each ear was completely filled.  Ears
>were around 9 inches long.
>
>As far as taste, well, it was better (to me) than most of the
>extremely sweet varieties out there but did not have what I consider
>to be a good, strong corn flavor.  I will grow it again only if I
>don't find something better and, if I grow corn next year, I will be
>looking for something better.  I may give Trucker's Favorite a whirl.
>
>Liz

Ahh, Trucker's Favorite. My Dad grew the white variety every year when I
was a boy and we ate it as sweet corn in the early milk stage and fed it to
the stock in the dry stage. Miz Anne and I grew it from about 1962 until
1976 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Only color I've seen lately is the yellow
but if it's as good as the old TF I may have to get some seed.

George