Re: [gardeners] Perennials for the south

Harry Boswell (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 21:09:08 -0500

----------
> From: Michael & Bambi Cantrell <cantrell@onslowonline.net>
> To: gardeners@globalgarden.com
> Subject: Re: [gardeners] Perennials for the south
> Date: Thursday, September 10, 1998 8:13 PM
>
> Hi Matt,
>
> Park Seeds is from SC and Plant Delights is from NC, although they
> carry more unusual stuff and are more expensive for that.  Southern
> Perennials and Herbs (I think that's the name) is from Miss. so they
> would be good in the South too.

Southern Perennials and Herbs can be reached via the web at

http:// www.s-p-h.com

or go to my website  http://www2.netdoor.com/~hboswell, take the Garden
Links
and take the link there.

They seem to be really nice folks, from my e-correspondence with them.

Park Seed is a great source for seeds, and tho I've never ordered plants
from
them, I would expect their plants to be very good, also.  For daylilies,
try
Gilbert H. Wild, in Sarcoxie, Mo.

An often-overlooked perennial is spiderwort, with tall, grayish-green
leaves
and small, brilliant-blue flowers that open early and late, and on cloudy
days.
Often found in roadside ditches, but I like it with daylilies and
rudbeckia.
For light shade to part sun, you can use Stokesia (Stokes Aster), which has

powdery blue blossoms in late May - early June (Zone 8 - Mississippi).
It's one of those "what flower is that" flowers.  My favorite
chrysanthemum/
dendrathemum is Clara Curtis aka Country Girl. tall, with lavendar
daisy-like
blossoms in mid-fall.

Enough for now...

Harry