Re: [gardeners] Outage and weather

Allen and Judy Merten (
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 18:16:48 -0500

Hi George,
    Everything is wet in this part of Texas for a change. My youngest dog sits
at the patio doors and watches, turns his head like dogs do when they are
trying to figure things out. He wouldn't go outside voluntiarilly so I took him
out. He had a ball playing in the rain. Poor pooch hadn't seen enough rain in
his lifetime to know what it was.
    The garden is coming back to life. I had planted potatos but hadn't seen
much in the way of sprouts coming through the ground. The rain started
yesterday, got steady through the night and continued this morning with about a
30 minute break. Good ol' farmers rain.
This morning during the break I checked on the garden. It looks like all the
potatos that I planted are breaking through. The green beans look like they are
a couple inches taller than they were.I was worried that they would be beaten
down but were ok. All the surviving pepper and tomato plants are looking a lot
better too. I planted some crooknecked gourds to make bird houses and feeders
out of. Untill the temp dropped down into the 90's no blossoms would set even
with my help pollinating them. Now there are about a dozen 8-12 inches long and
more than 50 little ones. If the first freeze holds off untill Nov. we'll have
gourds too.
    As soon as it is workable I'll be planting my cole crops.
Wet Bastrop Co.,Tx

George Shirley wrote:

> Well, Thursday morning I shut the old computer down, dismantled it and
> hauled it to my guru in town. Traded it in on the latest, greatest, bestest
> thing on the market. Looked at the price in upgrading my Pentium I to a
> Pentium II and the difference between a new motherboard and a whole 'nother
> computer was only $200.00 so went with the new machine. Got pretty much
> what I had on the other machine except for 266mHz now, a 33.6 modem vs
> 28.8, and double the harddrive space. Even put my tape backup into the new
> machine.
> Today, Friday, I was supposed to go to Beaumont, TX to the VA clinic but
> the high winds and lashing rains of TS Frances dissuaded me of that idea.
> About 1030 this am, my guru said the new machine was ready. As the wind and
> rain had fizzled out I drove the 10 miles into Lake Charles to get the
> machine. Bad luck, all the streets were flooded, it was raining about an
> inch a minute it seemed, and all the SUV's and 4X4 pickups were out running
> the streets. A couple of times I had bow waves washing over the top of my
> little Dodge, she never quit running though. By the time I got to Glen's
> shop the rain had stopped and when I left the water had, mostly, gone down.
> We flood fast down here but it runs off equally fast. I drove the high
> ground back to the freeway and headed home only to find a street I use to
> get to my blocked by a fallen tree. A humongous oak tree had fallen on a
> friend's house and on out into the street. Had to back up and go on another
> street.
> After all that nerve-wracking travel I sat me down and assembled this new
> machinen and am pleased to say that I like it right well. I finally
> upgraded from Dos 6.22 and Windows 3.11 to Windows 98 and, so far, it
> appears to work well.
> Garden content: Looks like most of the newly sprouted seedlings survived
> the high winds and rains, particularly after we put on the Hackberry
> Reeboks (white rubber boots worn by shrimpers) and went out and tenderly
> picked each seedling up out of the mud. More rain forecast through about
> Monday so we'll stay in touch. Tonight is the Gallery Promenade when all
> the art galleries in town are having open house. Reckon Miz Anne will be
> busy from about 1 pm until 9 pm. Me, I hide at home with the dog and stay
> away from those weird artists. <VBG>
> Was glad to see that everyone was talking growing things on the list.
> George