RE: [gardeners] Perennials for the south

Catharine Vinson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 14:34:58 -0400

Bambi wrote:

> Yes, I agree, Niche Gardens is another good one.   I've been
> there, and they
> have
> beautiful display gardens, and the plants are well tended and
> healthy.  They
> are
> not far from Plant Delights, here in NC.

Niche Gardens is absolutely tops in my book. I have been buying from them
for 3 years and every single plant I've gotten from them has thrived. They
do an INCREDIBLE job of packing...I've gotten 4-ft tall native azeleas from
them that have arrived without a wrinkled leaf or bent twig. They are also
absolute tops in "nice people to do business with." They go out of their way
to help; they also know their plants very, very well.

I used to buy from Plants Delight. Since I've already bashed Southern Herbs
and PErennials, I'll let MaPat recount her experience with Plants Delight if
she cares to. The last time I ordered from them, I was not very happy with
the condition of the plants I received. Maybe they have become too "trendy"
to keep up their quality. Dunno.

Another nursery to look at is Sandy Mush (N.C.). Incredible selection. Be
forewarned, however, that the plants they ship are very small. Healthy, but
small.

There are a growing number of outstanding specialty nurseries throughout the
south. MAny in North Georgia that ship, too. Goodness Grows is a good one.
Also, you might take a look at the Univeristy of Georgia's Ag testing web
site. The trial gardens are in Athens (supervised by Alan Armitage, the best
plantsperson in the South in many people's estimation) and they do an
outstanding job of trialing and rating many, many different perennials for
the Southeast. I will always check to see if a new cultivar has been trialed
in Athens before taking the plunge.

The J.C. Raulston Arboretum in Carolina is another superb resource. They are
now marketing their "seal of approval" for trees, shrubs, perennials adapted
to the SE. A great help for people.

Finally, check out the NAtive Plant Societies in the various states. They
are excellent sources for both information and plants (through member swaps,
etc.).

Catharine