Re: [gardeners] Introduction

Cheryl & Erich Schaefer (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 14:13:47 -0400

>Cheryl & Erich Schaefer <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:
>
>> >I think your plan for wildlife is a fine one.  Oregon and other
>> >Northwesterners will miss you.  Margaret
>>
>> Was everyone aware that Vicki Okeef, late of the Gardens list, is planning
>> to move back to Texas next spring and the terrible gardening weather is to
>> blame? The NW's loss is Texas' gain. Cheryl
>
>Seems to me that the terrible gardening weather has been in
>Texas recently.  Temperatures in excess of 100F and no rain aren't
>really conducive to growing much, are they?

I agree, Liz, but since Vicki is a native Texan, what could I say to her?
She described her land as having a few inches of topsoil, too, as if the
Texas heat wasn't discouraging enough, but she's planning raised beds for
the problem she CAN solve.

>Seriously, the Pacific Northwest has lousy vegetable-growing weather
>but probably has the finest weather for growing the widest variety of
>flowers in the US.  I can't wait to move over the Cascades.

When you get there, there is a lovely little nursery on Whitbey Island
called Rainshadow Gardens in Freeland. It's worth a visit even if only to
enjoy them and their view, but they do have an unusual plant selection and
nice gardens. Cheryl

Cheryl Schaefer
schaefer @epix.net
Zone 5 in the fabulous Finger Lakes of NY