Re: [gardeners] Vicki

Barbara J. Davis (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:22:01 -0500

> At 11:05 AM 9/16/98 -0700, you wrote:
>
> snipped first part of message
>
> > Well, I didn't know this history. What a charming story! My property is
> >about 5 or so miles south of Sisterdale.
Vicki

I moved to Texas last fall from east-central Oregon.  We had so many
deer and one could always encounter them at night, but especially at
dawn and dusk.  We seldom left the ranch at night, but my husband
installed the "whistle" on our vehicle.  We couldn't hear it,of course,
but it was supposed to alert deer; however, I wouldn't depend on
something like that because we found they'd jump up out of a ditch onto
the road in front of a vehicle when it would be too late to stop.  One
neighbor, who worked at the hospital until midnight, ran into deer four
times and had the front end of her vehicle completely smashed in twice.
So, I'd confine all except absolutely necessary driving to daytime.

Barbara       zone 7/8       southwest of Fort Worth, TX