Re: [gardeners] harvesting dry beans

Thu, 17 Sep 1998 09:04:57

At 06:54 AM 9/17/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Has anyone grown beans for harvest as dry beans?  I have soybeans and some
>pole beans that I'd like to harvest as dry beans.  Should they be protected
>from frost?  I think I need to cut down the soybeans and let them finish
>drying on the ground, shouldn't I?  The pole beans I'd like to dry
>principally for use as seed next year.  Should I just pick some mature pods
>and let them dry?  Thanks, Margaret

Soybean farmers around here let them dry on the bush and then combine them.
Most are intended for oil use though. My Dad used to grown blackeyed peas
for dry peas and he always let them dry on the vine. I have saved a few
bean seeds by picking the ones that dried on the vine and then putting them
away in a container in the refrigerator. Have done that for years and have
had good germination most of the time. Hope this helps.

George