Re: [gardeners] Vicki/spotting roadside deer at night

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 07:30:43 -0500

Hi All,
    In reference to deer hazards at night, I've been driving in areas
heavily populated by deer most of my life(49yrs), or as a passenger with
my dad of course as a younker. No family member has ever hit a deer. We
(five kids) were taught to widen the scope of the area that we pay
attention to when driving in deer country. Its like driving on a 6 lane
road. You have to see what is on all six lanes. It seems like most of
the roads that I have traveled in deer country are mostly 2 lane and
rarely 4 lane or more. A few interstates that cross are the exception.
You have to be aware of movement from fence or treeline left to right or
vice versa. I have had a couple of close calls that probably would have
resulted in collisions if Dad had not taught us to drive in this
fashion. Also save you from hitting the occasional horse, cow, or mule
that you will encounter also.
Allen
Bastrop Co.,Tx
Wildscape #1071