Re: [gardeners] Wednesday

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:19:27 -0500

Hi Barbara,
    What I meant about the Drs., is most don't have the experience the old doc's did.
My son #2 was bitten on the knee by a brown recluse spider at the Amoco Refinery in
Texas City when he put on his fire retardent coveralls. The doctors that he saw first
in the ER told him it looked like a fire ant bite. Son #2 had shown me the bite, I
recognized it as a Brown Recluse bite 'cause I have been bitten twice. So after I
came home from LL board meeting Judy and I took Tim back to the ER. I cussed and
fussed for about 3 hrs with the drs. before they admitted him. Bite was on the knee
and venom can cause tissue damage to the joint. The bite site didn't look like the
classic Brown Recluse bite, probably didn't get a full dose of venom. Two days after
the bite they decided it was indeed a BR bite and had to remove some tissue at the
bite site. Some ant bite!!
    I had Dengue Fever after Hurricane Debra in '58 in Galveston Co.,Tx. Not a
pleasant experience!
Allen
Bastrop Co.,Tx