Re: [gardeners] 'maters

Kim Cook (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 01 Oct 1998 11:03:38 -0300

Bill Loke wrote:
> My cherry toms split as well. It's a condition known as growth cracks.
> Usually occurs later in the season as temperatures and moisture conditions
> start to vary widely.

I had cracking occur only in my Brandy wines this year...after 3 weeks of
drought followed by a week of rain...not hard to figure that one out,
eh?...circular around the tops, quite alot...and Brandywines *are*
ugly...but good...<grin>

The Romas and cherries were fine.  Also just ripening now...a bit late for
my climate...

Hmmmm...what if I pull up my "Whippersnapper" cherry toms, and hang them
upside down?...will they ripen that way?...I think I read it somewhere...
Any good ideas for using green tomatos?...other than chow or relish?...

Thanks all...
Cheers!
Kim.  -sheesh, it's cold and rainy today...have to go light the woodstove.
--

Kim Cook  ICQ#3987340
Prince Edward Island, Canada