Re: [gardeners] Definately one word. ;-)

Liz Albrook (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:46:07 +0000

Margaret Lauterbach <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:

> >You know, Idaho might not have too many problems with Californians.
> >Might be enough loons here to protect the state.  Might even come out
> >better if the Californians do move in.
> >
> >Liz
> >
> It might be enlightening to you to take a look at the state budget
> and see how much is being set aside for prisons. They're taking the
> money out of what is left for higher education budgets after the
> public schools have their way with it, and giving it to prisons.

Gee, no kidding?  It might be enlightening to you to take a look at
what Phil Batt has done since being in office about this problem.
When Batt went into office Idaho was adding 40 people per month to
it's prison population; it's now adding 0 people per month to that
population.  The reason money was being taken from higher ed and put
into prisons is because the Idaho lunatic fringe has a "put 'em in
jail and throw away the key" attitude toward everything from murder
to jaywalking.

> It does rile me to hear the immigrants say "Whew!  Now shut the door
> to immigration" once they get here, then later they start making fun
> of the natives.  It wasn't the Idahoans who had to move to find a
> tolerable lifestyle, it was those making fun of them.  Margaret

You must be really angry with the way most American's view Native
Americans and immigration policies these days.  Still, I didn't know
you were so angry with yourself, or that you found life before Idaho
intolerable, Margaret.  Do hope you are feeling better now.

Liz