Re: [gardeners] Re: Potatoes and squash

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 01:01:45 -0500

Hi Penny,
    I hit the delete key by accident when I wanted to reply to your post
about storing potatos and onions. Here in Texas the onions we grow don't
store well for long periods of time due to the amount of moisture in the
onion. I store them and my potatos under mu house which is raised off
the ground. It is cool and dark under there and the potatos and onions
store for a couple of months, potatos a little longer. When the onions
start to show signs of being tired of fresh storage, I chop them and
freeze them. The potatos we try to eat or give away before they go bad.
    Greening of potatos is usually a problem with white potatos. If
exposed to sunlight they will turn green and get hard. This can happen
in the garden before digging or in storage if too much light enters. In
the garden I "dirt" my potatos by pulling soil up onto the potato plants
to just under the leaves. As they grow taller I add more soil. Some
people grow potatos in mulch rather than dirt. I can't use that method.
It is too humid here.
    Allen
    Bastrop Co.,Tx
    Zone 8