Re: [gardeners] storm damage

Sun, 15 Nov 1998 11:27:16 -0800

Those hickory nuts are just the thing for smoking meat when you're
barbecuing. Fill a bucket with them and then top off with water. Let
soak for a day or two and then toss a handfull on the coals. I've even
tossed them on dry but the wet lasts longer. Adds that delightful
hickory flavor to meats without cutting down the hickory tree. The
nutmeat is also delicious and makes a grand cake but is tiresome to pick
out, almost as bad as black walnuts.

Glad you folks didn't get any damage. Saw a lot of the results on the
television and it was frightening.

George