[gardeners] Re: You have rocks??

asidv@fbg.net (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 20:41:02 +0000

Martha Brown asked:
> Rocks???  Sand???????
> 	Is anyone ever pleased with what nature has provided <VBG>????

Probably not.

Martha, you may have -- free and with my eternal blessing -- all the
rocks you care to dig and haul away. To one whose soil is one-quarter
to one inch of leaf mold which is (according to the company that dug
our well) followed by 160 feet of limestone, flint, and granite -- a
plethora of sand sounds good.

WE buy sand! YOU buy rock! I think it is Mother Nature's way of
insuring that we all continue to strive. I've watched Catharine
augur holes for bulbs and plants but when she suggested I try it at
my digs I was faint with laughter.

The first time I tried to plant a one gallon size of Texas Mountain
Laurel, a neighbor heard me cursing and said, "To plant a tree, FIRST
you gets your dynamite." And added, "But now that you've got your
septic in, if you blast you'll crack it. Guess you'll just have to
keep working on that hole with a pick." She meant a German pick: it
is a spike six feet tall -- made of tempered steel -- a wedge on one
end and a point on the other.  You lift it up (I'm just 5' tall) and
suddenly drop it, point down, where you want the hole to be. Repeat
ad libidum, ad nauseum. The wedge end is used to pry up the "crumbs"
of rock you create. Example: it took my NGP nearly 4 hours to dig a
hole to anchor the mailbox post!

Still, having gardened in the West Texas desert at one time, I know
you feel you are dumping "organic material" into the Black Hole of
the Universe in an attempt to create the "friable" of fiction. But,
six of one, half a dozen of the other. Perseverance, thy name is
gardener.

Pat, in the Texas Hill Country (the country of 1100 springs and 1100
varieties of rock)