Re: [gardeners] Sunday in the garden

Mon, 14 Dec 1998 14:50:27 -0600

We live in SouthWest Louisiana with the Sabine River 30 miles to our west and
the Calcasieu River 10 miles to our east and the Gulf of Mexico is about 50
miles south of us. We're in USDA Zone 9b according to the USDA maps.
Sometimes our climate is closer to 10 or 11, particularly in the summer.
Right now it's cool with bright sunshine and we've been messing about in the
yard and garden all morning and up until about 2 pm.

Another lister had asked what size place we have. Our backyard, where most of
the gardening takes place, is 75 feet wide by 90 feet long. In this are there
is a 17 X 24 raised bed garden, a bed 75 feet long by 3 feet wide that has 10
blueberry bushes, a stand of Jerusalem artichokes, a 20 feet bed of
raspberries, and two Mayhaw trees plus a small iris bed. There's another 90
foot by 3 foot bed down the west fence line that has flowers, veggies, and
several jicama vines growing there. The main herb garden is 12 X 22 and there
are plantings in the rest of the yard of fruit trees, dwarves naturally,
azaleas, etc.  Don't forget the 4 X 8 compost bed too. We refer to it as
congested city gardening. Luckily we have a good western exposure most of the
day. The front yard is also chock-a-block full of stuff. There's also 3 large
oak trees in the back and one huge oak tree in the front. We rip stuff out
and replant all year as our climate is conducive to continuous cropping as
long as we pour the compost to it.

George