Re: [gardeners] In the garden?

Thu, 07 Jan 1999 16:34:44 -0600

margaret lauterbach wrote:

> At 12:28 PM 1/7/99 -0600, you wrote:
> snipped my original message

> I'm not snowed in.  Trying to write my column a day early so I can send it
> in via the 486, then remove that program and donate that computer to the
> schools, and THEN set up the new one.  Looking forward(?) to Windows 98 on
> that one, and trying to learn a new software for sending in my column on my
> old computer.

I'm learning to appreciate Windows 98 more and more. Resisted moving to
upgraded windows software for the longest, now I'm fairly happy with it. Still
a few bugs I would like to see worked out but it seems to work well with my old
Windoze 3.11 and Dos software. A small pain learning how to do everything I did
with a keystroke in Dos and I think I'm getting "mouse hand."

> Tuned into my mail this morning, and was deluged with invective and the
> f-word, directed at the list owner.  I had no idea so many nasty-tempered
> people were on that list (seeds list).  The owner has disbanded it and
> started a different list.  I hope most of the bellyachers and threateners
> do not join the new list.  That guy is pretty good at filtering out
> foulmouthed jerks, so he'll undoubtedly be busy for the next few days.  The
> attack was for the owner's asking people to stay on topic, a request made
> courteously.
>
> We've been pretty lucky on this list, most of the folks are courteous toward
> all and get along okay.  Thank goodness, as the list owner has to bite his
> tongue sometimes to hold his temper down. A bad temper is NOT a blessing,
> believe me.

> I thought I was about through with seed orders, but I've been rethinking
> the Burpees red corn.  Hmmm.  It's a SE, I'm growing a SE.  Have you seen
> the cover of Burpees' catalog?  Wouldn't it be superfine to wrap tamales
> with those maroon husks? The corn probably sucks, but...

Miz Anne was drooling over the latest Burpee catalog last night, I sorta
thumbed through it quickly as I am getting what few seeds I need from Pinetree.
Not an advertisement but I have been very happy with their seeds and their
service. Miz Anne is prejudiced toward Burpee's cause her Momma is some kinda
kin to the owners. Course I believe most of them folks up in Virginny is
related anyway.

> Our ground is frozen, daytime temps around 40, but low 20s at night.
> Pretty much the usual winter weather.  I've got to get some chile and
> cauliflower seeds started, though.  Margaret

You're starting seeds this early? I still have a week to ten days before I
start mine. It's getting close though, my fingers are itchy.

George