Re: [gardeners] jicama

margaret lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:26:53 -0700

At 10:48 AM 1/20/99 -0600, you wrote:
>So, how, exactly, does one use the root?  Raw, cooked,
>ground, boiled, stewed, pummeled???  And, biggest
>question of all, how does it taste?
>
>BTW, is this list archived anywhere?

How does it taste?  Well, it's great fun to offer bites to people who've
never eaten it and ask them what it tastes like.  It's not a mean trick,
Harry, it's very good.  Some say it tastes like an apple, but with potato
overtones.  Others say it tastes like a sweet russet potato. It's very,
very crunchy.  Crisp texture holds up, I think, in stir frying.  You do
have to peel it.  I hope George knows that. Margaret