Re: [gardeners] soaker hose

Martha Brown (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:06:49 -0600

Penny;
	Most of the hoses I have came with the pressure reducer disks already in
place.  I have permanent PVC supply hoses laid to the individual beds then
soaker hoses in the beds set up in a loop  to equalize pressure.  There
generally is several hundred feet of soaker hose attached to one faucet by
the PVC supply lines which reduces the pressure a lot.  When I connect two
or more hoses together I take the disk out of the second and third hoses
leaving just the ends of hoses attached to the supply line "Y" connector
with the disks in place. I use the extras for short lengths.  The hose
mender works well enough with my low low pressure to get by without buying
a new hose, ripping the old one out of the bed and trying to force a new
one in place.
	I also have very sandy ground so have this running almost constantly (on
24 hours, off 24-48 hours) at very very low pressure with very long lengths
laid in close "s" curves in some beds.  There doesn't seem to be a problem
with hose menders probably because the pressure is kept very low,  hoses
are placed in a loop to equalize pressure  and the restriction isn't great
enough to warrant ripping the hose out and replacing it.  We have very hard
water so the life expectancy of these things is only about two to three
years max anyway. I recycle the hose menders and ends when I toss the bad
hoses.

Martha
M Brown
NW Oklahoma, USA