Re: [gardeners] Friday In The Garden

Harry Boswell (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 08:50:47 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, George Shirley wrote:

> It has been so warm here that, for all practical purposes, we have had
> no winter. Our winters aren't normally severe anyway but this one has
> been unusually warm and dry. The carrots, broccoli, etc in the winter
> garden have outdone themselves with growth and the tomatoes that were
> moved into the greenhouse when the first frost was announced are
> producing a few fruits along.

Been pretty warm just north of you, too.  In fact, yesterday our LOW
was 10 degrees higher than our average HIGH for the date.  We have only
had 4 days with a temperature that got below freezing at any point,
and 3 of those were the ice storm.  I could have had a great salad garden
had I planted the week before Christmas - since then, most of our days
have had highs in the upper 60s to low 70s, most lows in the 50s.  But
I know that our coldest weather often comes in February, so I've got to
restrain myself.

My F-I-L had a 4'x10' woodshed that sat up against his house, but he
converted to gas 2 yeasr ago.  So, this week I moved that to my garden,
where it will become the starting point for some sort of garden building.
It may just be a potting shed, but I'm leaning towards adding on and
making it into a greenhouse/garden shed thingy.  Gotta have time to ponder
it.

Harry

Harry Boswell                 hboswell@netdoor.com
USDA Zone 8 (Mississippi USA)