Re: [gardeners] Atlas cedar

Kay Lancaster (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 17:55:32 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, David G. Smith wrote:

> I like weeping trees.  We don't have room for a 150 foot tree, but it's got
> to take a while to get that big, right?  I figured if it gets too big for
> the yard and we're still living here we'll worry about it then.

They put on growth pretty fast.  And big trees are expensive and
sometimes dangerous to take down.  Around here, I see Cedrus libani
put on a couple of feet a year.

> Does that 'Mt. St. Catherine' cedar look blue?

Yup.  The blueness is caused by the layer of white wax. on the needles.
"glaucous" is botspeak.  In an area exposed to acid deposition (acid rain,
acid snow, dry acid deposition), or if the tree is sprayed with oils
for pest control, the blue color will disappear.

How much space do you have for this tree?  Let's see if we can
find you one that fits better, with blue needles.

Kay Lancaster    kay@fern.com