Re: [gardeners] "keeping" tomatoes

Kay Lancaster (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 08:35:42 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, margaret lauterbach wrote:

> Has anyone grown a "keeping" tomato they're happy with?  One that looks
> like and tastes like a real tomato?  I grew one (I'd have to do research to
> find out the variety) that tasted like a hotdog.  Blech!  A friend gave me
> "Graham's good keeper" last year, and it was the first of 60 varieties to
> rot after being picked.  Rev. Morrow's Long Keeper was fair, but I think we
> ought to be able to do better.  The tomato that has kept longest and best
> for me is the Yellow Stuffer, and that isn't known as a "keeping" tomato.

I haven't found one I'm terrifically happy with... all of the longest
keeping tomatoes in the trials at the Ames PI station were thickskinned,
lignified, and high acid.  On the other hand, a thick-skinned, woody,
high acid tomato is still better than the grocery store ethylene-gassed
cardboard tomatoes.

You might poke around in the tomato genetics cooperative newsletter
and see if any cultivars are particularly mentioned.

Kay Lancaster    kay@fern.com
   just west of Portland, OR  USDA zone 8 (polarfleece)

ANNOUNCING:  Cyndi Johnson's catalog of gardening catalogs, 17th ed.
For info on obtaining any or all parts (free!) drop a note to
gardeninfo@fern.com