Re: [gardeners] Thursday - in the garden for a bit

margaret lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 05 Mar 1999 08:35:19 -0700

At 07:46 AM 3/5/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Jane Burdekin wrote:
>
>> Hi George,
>> Sorry about your spinach.  I have to go out and check on mine since we had
>> s**w last night.  I have one  daffodil in bloom and about 5 just about to
>> break open. Wonder what it will do to them.  We also have a prediction of
>> 26F tonight.  This is not a good thing with little leaves popping out on
>> the lilac, honey suckle, and forsythia and all the bulbs popping up.  Crazy
>> weather, it's been way too warm here for the winter.  Are we still blaming
>> La Nina???
>>
>> Jane
>>

>I am, La Nina, is really messing up my spring. Hasn't been above 65F this
week
>and nights have been as low as 39F. That's to cold for a SW Louisiana spring.
>
>George

Jane, an old post from Debbie Green reported daffs suffer from stem topple
at temps around 15 and below.  The flowers aren't hurt, so if your stems
topple, pick the flowers and bring them inside.  Margaret, who truly hates
to mention such a temp in the presence of George.