Re: [gardeners] Althea officinalis uses

Jane Burdekin (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 05:07:11 -0700

Thanks for the info and sites Cynthia.  I finally found a picture of the
Althaea officinalis and it is not the plant I am finding in the garden.  I
have found quite a few uses for it too, and it is available in the natural
food stores here in town.  Maybe the plant I am looking for is the  other
Malvas you mentioned.  Thanks for the site.  I'm off to check them out.
Hmmm, that is not it.  The plant I am looking at in the garden is
definately a weed and the plants I just looked at are things you would
actually want to plant.  This weed is low to the ground and spreads out in
a rosette shape.  The leaves are round and scalloped on the edges.  It
produces small whitish/purplish flowers and forms a button shaped like a
hollyhock seed button later.  It has a carrot like tap root that is heading
for China and if you leave any piece of it a new plant (weed) will form.
Any ideas???

Jane