[gardeners] Althea officinalis uses

Cynthia Mayeaux (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 05:46:14 -0500

At 05:23 AM 3/8/99 -0700, you wrote:
><snip>I got distracted trying to find out if the "weed" called
>Malva was of some value.  I recently took an herb class and it is one of
>the plants the instructor pointed out.  Does any one know if it is the same
>as marshmallow plant.  I am thinking it is Althaea officinalis but I can't
>find a picture to confirm it.  If that is the right name there seems to be
>many uses for this common weed that I keep digging and throwing in the
>compost.  If it is that I sure hope I haven't completely iradicated it from
>the garden, what are the odds of that?   I better get out there and finish
>preparing for pea planting tonight.
>
>Jane

Hi Jane,

I have some info from, "The Herb Book", by John Lust.  Says, common names
for Althea officinalis is Marshmallow, mortification root, sweet weed,
wymote.  The medicinal parts are root, leaves, flowers.

Properties and uses... Demulcent, emollient, diuretic.  It's particular
excellence is soothing irritated tissue.  Externally, use it as a poultice
for irritations, burns, carbuncles, and furuncle, and wounds.  (what the
heck is a furuncle?).

It says more, but I don't have time to type it all out this morning.  If
you really want more, let me know and I will type up the rest of the
decoction info etc.  I also have info on Malva sylvestris and Malva
rotundifolia if you need it.

A good place to start looking for a pic is at virtual garden

http://www.vg.com/cgi-bin/VG/vg

Cynthia

**Womyn Who Moves Mountains-Little Finger Of Michigan**
**cmayeaux@traverse.com **USDA zone 4b-Sunset zone 41**
** http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/2659/garden/cynthia.html **