Re: [gardeners] cutworms

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:13:33 -0600

Hi Margaret,
    I use coffee cans when I plant my tomato and pepper transplants. Maybe I
have been lucky but I have never lost a plant to cutworms. I learned to do this
from my grandmother. My dad used this on the Gulf Coast. I have used it on the
Gulf Coast, East Texas, and now Central Texas.  We use it for several reasons.
It deters cutworms. It gives the transplants protection from the strong
thunderstorm winds and other strong spring winds. It also allows us to water
and feed the pepper and tomatos right at the roots. It makes a big difference
in the heat of an early summer when it hasn't rained. I fill the can (3lbs) at
least half full of water, more if it has really been dry.
    I use soaker hoses on most other vegetables but I like the can method for
tomatos. If you like to make manure tea for your peppers and tomatos this is a
good method to keep all the goodies right there for your plants.
    I have read about making a small tube to go around the plant. The
illustrations looked like they were using poster board.
    I had not thought about trapping a cutworm inside the can. Do you think
that it is too wet inside the can for the cutworm? I push the 3lb can down into
the soil to the first ring on the can. When I fill the can the water stands in
it for a while as it slowly seeps into the soil.
    Allen
    Bastrop Co., Tx.