Re: [gardeners] Fence, or something?

Fri, 19 Mar 1999 19:16:59 -0600

David G Smith wrote:

> I wonder if anyone has a suggestion for me.  We have 60 feet of chain-link
> fence between us and the neighbor behind us.  They have 3 dogs, one of
> which comes up to the fence and barks at me any time I'm outside.  They'll
> call it in after a while -- 10, 15 minutes -- if they're home.
>
> I'm thinking what I need is something to block the dog's view.  A nice
> wooden fence would be great, but a bigger job than I have time for now.
> I'm considering those white or colored strips that can be woven into the
> fence.  Not that attractive, but quick and easy, I guess.  A plant that
> would cover the fence would be good, but it would have to be something that
> would thrive in the shade -- the fence is on the north side of a narrow
> patch of small trees and brush (resembling a hedge).  There's only a little
> room to plant anything on my side of the fence, as my vegetable garden
> comes within five or six feet of it.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated...
>
> David Smith
>
> (BTW, those False Jerusalem Cherry seeds are nicely cleaned and dried now,
> and I found a better picture at
> http://www.uco.ru/~romic/flowers/?pic2=p4085.jpg (mine is like the one on
> the right).  If anyone would like any seeds, just let me know.)

It's been my experience that the dog will continue to bark at you even behind a
fence such as you describe. Our next door neighbors dog would bark at me the
same way. I got permission from the neighbors to make friends with it and begin
to talk to it through the fence and give it the occasional dog treat (we have a
dog too). After a bit it would just come up to the fence to be greeted and then
go on about its business. Worked for me, may work for you, depends on how
territorial the dog is.

George