Re: [gardeners] Re: Canning Jalapenos

Sun, 28 Mar 1999 16:31:49 -0600

Bob Kirk wrote:

> George wrote:
>
> > Well, some of them died from stuff they preserved for the winter, too.
> > Not only do we have
> > better information, gained scientifically, today but we are a weaker people.
>
>    I remember a friend telling about the time when his grandpa tried to
> clean out the cellar (probably make it easier to spot the rattlesnakes
> when they were down there hiding from a tornado), and his grandmother
> looking at the canned stuff he'd hauled up.
>    Some of which had probably been there since they were married, reduced
> by ? enzymatic action, I guess, to glop that would make thousand-year-eggs
> look like nouvelle couisine - and saying, "But as long as the lids are down
> the food is still safe."
>    He did say she never actually used any of the back-shelf stuff, just
> hated to see it thrown to the chickens, but I never wondered after that
> where this guy acquired the habit of boiling everything till it fell apart.

Some folks still advocate boiling home canned food for 10 minutes before eating.
Personally I think it's foolish IF you follow good procedures. Home canning ain't
for sissies.

>    BK---
>
> doesn't suppose there's any rush to breed a jalapeno that grows to the size
> of the jar so you could just stack the slices, and each one fits a sandwich.
>   Like that new cucumber.... A proprietary variety, I guess; haven't seen
> either the seeds or the pickles, though they've supposedly been marketing
> those for a year or more.

Which cuke is that? Am I missing something new? I have seen pickles that were
sliced longways on the cuke to make them fit the sammich better.

George, listening to a nice drizzle of rain coming down