Re: [gardeners] Re: Canning Jalapenos

David G. Smith (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 19:44:54 -0500

George wrote:
>Some folks still advocate boiling home canned food for 10 minutes before
eating.
>Personally I think it's foolish IF you follow good procedures. Home
canning ain't
>for sissies.

My in-laws got some home-canned things from people they knew and gave us
some.  One is pickled watermelon rind (I think, I didn't try it yet), in a
regular pint canning jar.  The other is blackberry jam in a jar that looks
like it originally had gravy in it -- the lid says "Heat and Serve".  My
grandmother and her sister re-used jars like that, but I hadn't seen anyone
do it lately.  Looks like they've used this one more than once!  I was a
little hesitant to eat it but I do like blackberry jam.  It's a third gone,
and I'm as OK as ever.  (No boiling, either.)

David Smith