Re: [gardeners] Rhododendron wont bloom...

margaret lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 10:47:25 -0600

At 02:37 PM 4/16/99 PDT, you wrote:
>Hi you all,
>
>This is Cheryl Van De Grift in Boise, Idaho (Hi Margaret).  I have
>been a lurker for a while now.  Now I need you.  We moved into an old
>house on a large shady lot last Spring.  There is a Rhododendron on
>the west side of the house and it didn't bloom last year, and doesn't
>look like it will this year.  Maybe it's just slow, but is there
>anything I can do to encourage it to bloom and grow?  Most of the
>shade in our yard is from old pine trees, so the soil is acidic, which
>the Rhododendron should love, right?  It's in the shelter of the house
>so it doesn't get a lot of wind or TOO cold.
>
>I appreciate your advice!  Thanks,
>
>Cheryl in Boise, ID

Cheryl, does it get about half a day of full sun? What is the pH of the
soil? Did you prune it back within the past year? If it's properly located,
wasn't pruned, has good pH reading, has been fertilized with a fertilizer
that has a high second number, you might want to root-prune it.  If that
doesn't do the job, whisper to it that if it doesn't bloom soon, you're
going to send it to Landfill Oblivion.  There are times when only the
latter solution works.  Good Luck, Margaret Lauterbach