Re: [gardeners] Re:Native fruit and nuts

Thu, 22 Apr 1999 19:10:52 -0500

PieOhNear@aol.com wrote:

> Allen,
>
> I know that, in time, I will find just "the right spot" to garden on our
> Oklahoma prairie...just as you have. I'm simply getting impatient to get down
> to business with the gardening part of living there.
>
> We had some severe weather in the N. W. portions of Oklahoma last night and
> in the N. E. portions this afternoon. About 1 a.m. we had small hail, hard
> rain, lightening, and wind gusts up to and exceeding 65 mph. No damage in our
> area of N. E. OK.  With the onslaught of rain our weeds look healthy and
> refreshed -- I hope our garden in Payne Co. looks healthy as well!  ;)
>
> The wild honeysuckle has become a ground cover for our woods and it's getting
> to burst into bloom...we have some wild asparagus emerging. I had a small
> bowl of asparagus soup for dinner.  (Hubby hates asparagus!)
>
> Well, this is all for now from this part of Oklahoma. I always enjoy reading
> everyone's posts. I'm learning a great deal from all of you -- thanks for
> sharing.
>
> Vicki

Ahh, the elusive wild asparagus. When Miz Anne and I were young folk and
a-courting we often went along the banks of Nat's Creek in Southern Maryland
looking for wild aspargus. Found enough for her family for me to stay in good
graces with her daddy. Fond memories of hunting the aspargus. <VBG>

George, remembering a more innocent time