Re: [gardeners] Re:Emus

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 01:04:50 -0500

Hi,
    We hang them from a tree limb much as you would a deer, skin it, remove the
legs and thighs, save the heart and liver and finish processing it inside. The meat
is red, lean, tender and delicious. There is practically no meat on the breast or
ribs of the Emus. The neck can be harvested also. We use this meat as stew or chili
meat.
    It is a chore butchering the carcas of a 125 lb. bird. It is not as difficult
as a yearling beef, which weighs way more.
    Allen
    Bastrop Co.
    SE Central Tx