Re: [gardeners] Fall Potatoes in the South

Thu, 03 Jun 1999 09:12:52 -0500

Allen Breland wrote:

> Thanks Allen and Judy. I think you're right. I planted a bit late (late
> Feb.) for our humid and hot weather down here. I'm going to try again
> this fall by putting seed potatos in around the end of Sept. and see how
> that goes. I was told by a neighbor that he had read that once the soil
> reaches a temp of around 80 degrees the potatoes will stop producing.
> Have you heard anything about that?
> Allen

Allen: Remember too that we had a very early summer this year with temps up
to 90F in April and off and on through May. 90F is the norm now. Rainfall
has been sporadic but then comes as a monsoon so tomatoes rot on the vine
while still green and the bugs multiply fast plus the soil is staying wet
longer.

George