Re: [gardeners] Friday in the garden

Sat, 05 Jun 1999 09:07:17 -0500

"David G. Smith" wrote:

> I tried NZ spinach this year, and got just two plants in the row.  I
> planted it 4/10 -- we're still getting an occasional frost here then, but
> the seed packet said early spring.  What do you think, try it again now?

I usually plant it after frost danger is past. Since I don't live in a cold, or
even cool, climate I don't know how it does there. We usually get 100%
germination on the seed and, sometimes, can treat it as a perennial. Most
winters though a frost will knock it down quickly and the high heat and
humidity of August does a number on it as well. We just like the taste enough
to stay with it.

> The only time I've stripped wallpaper was a few weeks ago.  We rented a
> steamer to do it, and it seemed to work pretty well.  Not a pleasant job at
> all, though; enough to turn me against wallpaper.

I'm against wallpaper too, just for that reason. If the wall is painted it's
fairly easy, and cheap, to change the decor for whatever reason. Some of this
wallpaper has been in place for more than 20 years and is getting pretty yellow
from being up so long plus the previous owners were heavy smokers.

> We are doing well, and I'm getting into the garden plenty.  Now there are
> three of us doing well, you can see the new one at
> http://www.delanet.com/~margecl.
>
> David

George