Re: [gardeners] Friday in the garden

AMGarden@aol.com (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 14:54:01 EDT

In a message dated 6/6/99 9:17:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, gshirley@laol.net
writes:

> We have two patio doors, one set in the family room, looking directly out
> the
>  patio and the gardens, and the other in the master bedroom just looking
out
> on
>  the plant benches on the patio. Those two doors and floor to ceiling
windows
>  bring the outdoors in on those days that are cool enough to open the
drapes.
>  Reckon living in southern FL you know whereof I speak. ;-)

We have only one patio door that looks out onto our screened porch and the
pool decking.  Since this is on the North side of the house there is little
light coming in through this window, the only one in the family room.  White
was a good choice to lighten up the room 5 years ago and the colors will stay
on the lighter side for the same reason.  We plan to glass in that screened
porch for a sun room and put skylights out there.  That should bring a little
more light into the family room.  Even in daylight we have at least one lamp
on at all times.  Twilight is a good way to describe the ambience of the room
with out lights.  Decorating with bird houses and silk vines brings a little
of the outdoors in.

Now our front windows that face south are very large.  One is 72 in. across
and the other 94 in.  Both are about 84 inches tall, almost floor to ceiling.
 In this room the curtains stay closed most of the summer, at least the
sheers do.  That way we can see some color from the front flower bed.  This
room could be done in dark cool colors with ease.  At this time with the
white walls it is bright even on the cloudiest days.

>  Old houses are a lot of work but often provide more house for the money
than
> a new one.

This is true in most places.  Here you can get about the same size home for
the same price as a new one (resale prices are high), but the lot is much,
much smaller on the newer homes.  We went for an older home to get room for a
garden and pool and play area.  In newer homes there is room for only one of
those things, unless your home is out in the country.  Even then there is no
guarantee it will be any cheaper for the land.  People are willing to commute
much farther than ever before.  We moved here from NC and spent almost 50%
more for 2/3 the square footage and much less lot (we had an acre, now about
1/3).  Since moving here my DH works mostly in TX., but he would rather
commute than move again.  He travels alot and it would not matter where our
base is, so we choose to stay here, close to family and old friends.
Anne in FL
zone 9b