[gardeners] Monday in the garden

George Shirley (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 15:34:30 -0500

Went out between rain squalls today and picked a few tomatoes, cukes,
eggplant, and another few yellow-eyed beans. Letting the yellow-eyed
beans dry on the bush for seed as we want to plant more next year. May
get a small mess to eat soon as they appear to be prolific. Thanks again

Had a bit of excitement about 3:00 am today. There was a power blip,
lasted probably 1 minute. Being one of those old guys that has to answer
natures call about that time of the morning I was up. Went in to reset
the clock on the microwave when I heard a breaker throw in the utility
room. Checked it and saw it was the one for the microwave, a couple of
outlights, the carport lights, AND - the big fan that pulls hot air out
of the attic. Pulled the stairs down and took a look and that part of
the attic was full of smoke. The smoke had the distinctive odor of
burned shellac, a sure sign of an electric motor burning out. Took my
big, insulated cutters and cut the wiring to the motor and also cut the
belt off the fan. Took about 4 hours for the motor casing to cool down
and for the smoke to dissipate. Scared the heck out of Miz Anne and me,
the pup thought it was great fun being up in the middle of the night.
Guess we were lucky as there was a good possibility of the house
catching on fire.

The fan, motor and all, comes out tomorrow and gets replaced with
passive roof turbines, no power stuff up there after that. Today I
rerouted the wiring so the other things on the circuit could be used so
we're back in business. Life really is good.