Re: [gardeners] Monday in the garden

Jill Fyffe (
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:10:20 -0400

Good job you are one of those "middle-of -the-night-risers".  Fires 
are a very scary thing.  Even if everyone gets out safe. . . you can 
lose irreplaceable things like wedding and baby pictures, etc.
Glad you and Miz Anne and the pup are fine.

> Went out between rain squalls today and picked a few tomatoes, cukes,
> eggplant, and another few yellow-eyed beans. Letting the yellow-eyed
> beans dry on the bush for seed as we want to plant more next year. May
> get a small mess to eat soon as they appear to be prolific. Thanks again
> Allen.
> Had a bit of excitement about 3:00 am today. There was a power blip,
> lasted probably 1 minute. Being one of those old guys that has to answer
> natures call about that time of the morning I was up. Went in to reset
> the clock on the microwave when I heard a breaker throw in the utility
> room. Checked it and saw it was the one for the microwave, a couple of
> outlights, the carport lights, AND - the big fan that pulls hot air out
> of the attic. Pulled the stairs down and took a look and that part of
> the attic was full of smoke. The smoke had the distinctive odor of
> burned shellac, a sure sign of an electric motor burning out. Took my
> big, insulated cutters and cut the wiring to the motor and also cut the
> belt off the fan. Took about 4 hours for the motor casing to cool down
> and for the smoke to dissipate. Scared the heck out of Miz Anne and me,
> the pup thought it was great fun being up in the middle of the night.
> Guess we were lucky as there was a good possibility of the house
> catching on fire.
> The fan, motor and all, comes out tomorrow and gets replaced with
> passive roof turbines, no power stuff up there after that. Today I
> rerouted the wiring so the other things on the circuit could be used so
> we're back in business. Life really is good.
> George

Zone 5 (in a good year)
Peterborough, ON, Canada