Re: [gardeners] hmmmmm

Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:51:51 -0500

Tantrika wrote:

> Well yesterday I was walking between my beds (there's only about a foot of
> space between them, and much to my horror I broke off a branch of my Sun
> Gold tomato plant (that had flowers on it)  (WAH!)
>
> Well not knowing what else to do with it stuck it, broken end down, upright
> in the compost bin.   Low and behold it hasn't wilted yet, and still looks
> healthy.  SO.....
>
> If I plant this in a pot with some micorhizza on the bottom will it be
> likely to root?  I certainly don't want to let it go to waste.
>
> Also is putting old tomato plants in the compost bin ok?

My wife has successfully rooted broken off tomato limbs but it takes a
long time for them to do anything. My tendency is to just toss them. As
for putting old tomato plants in the compost bin we just don't do that.
Tomatoes and squash plants go in the trash can rather than the compost.
Down here in SW Louisiana we just have too many diseases and pests of
both plants and composting just seems to perpetuate them.

George