Re: [gardeners] Where is George?

Sun, 25 Jul 1999 08:54:57 -0500

penny x stamm wrote:

> Allen, certain local states around the NYC area are rolling
> the electricity, some hours on, some off. Our governor is in an
> uproar because he feels that Con Edison should have been
> better prepared than to have let us experience that power outage
> overnight, last week.
>
> We have heard nothing about cutting back the southern states
> in order to stretch our potential.
>
> Penny, NY

Well, you Yanqui's are getting blamed for it by the southern energy
providers. There may be a bit of truth in the story as most energy
companies no longer generate enough power to handle all of their own
customers. Most of them use "tolling" agreements all across the country,
I borrow some juice from you when we need it and vice versa. Others pay
fees for the electricity and it is nearly all on a large national grid.
You may be using electricity generated about ten miles from where I live
and I may be using hydro power from the Pac NW. Ain't progress fun?

George