Re: [gardeners] Sunday in the garden

David G. Smith (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 20:33:59 -0400

We got the cold front last night, too, but only about 1/10 inch of rain.
It stayed cloudy a lot of the day and not too hot.

I cut some herbs to dry yesterday -- basil, rosemary, savory (summer and
winter), sage, thyme, and tarragon.  I thought I ought to get some chives
but I wasn't sure what to do with it.  I guess they need to be on a rack or
other flat surface for drying, not hanging up in a bunch.

The purple-hull peas are doing great in the heat and drought.  I haven't
noticed them wilting at all (I do water them some).  They seem to always
have some wasps on them, I wonder why?  Soon I'll be wondering how to tell
when they're ready.  When the peas are as big as they get, I guess, like
green peas -- of course, I don't know how big they get.

Our dogs are sick, we don't know exactly what the problem is.  The vet
seems to think probably a not-too-dangerous bug of some sort.  It sure is
messy, though.

Life will seem a little better once they're over it.

David