[gardeners] Re: Was Iris Maintenance/ Floppy sedum

Martha Brown (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 21:39:30 -0500

There are a few things I have done for floppy sedum (Autumn Joy, Brilliant
etc.)

I cut or pinch them back like I do mums making a smaller mound which is
covered in smaller blooms.

I stake them like I do Peonies.

The third option I have found is to move them to a spot they don't get as
much water so don't grow as large and top heavy.

Martha
M Brown
NW Oklahoma, USA
USDA Zone 6b,  Sunset Zone 35

-----Original Message-----
From: Pauline & Gary <gnp@wilmington.net>
To: gardeners@globalgarden.com <gardeners@globalgarden.com>
Date: Saturday, October 02, 1999 8:48 PM
Subject: Re: [gardeners] Iris Maintenance

Thanks to all for responses on Iris Maintenance.    I don't seem to have any
problems with diseases, etc. the breezes are significant throughout the
garden.  The only rot problem I have encountered is in the stems of my
Autumn Joy sedum.  I have these in same bed as rest of my perrenials and
they got sprinkled a lot as I was trying to counter effects of the "Before
Floyd" drought.  Too much water on the sedums I think, although my other
specie (can't remember the name, but lighter in color and much taller)
didn't suffer same plight.  By the way, do all sedums flop over?  These tall
ones all flop over leaving a very unsightly center, much like spokes on a
wagon wheel.  The hurricane didn't help this situation any.
Thanks again to all of you.
Pauline Wilmington, NC
gnp@wilmington.net